Friday, June 5, 2009

Roger Federer targets elusive French Open title

Not many CanonMalaysians that I know play tennis.

I remembered playing with Jeffrey Tan, Mak Siew Choy, Mike Cheong, Thomas Wong. All former Canon technicians.

Then much later, with Foo Say Kam and Danny Yeap. By the way, some years ago, Danny Yeap won the champion trophy during his stay in Club Med, Cherating. (don't play play). Danny, the nicest person in the world, still plays twice a week currently. And Foo Say Kam plays with a very heavy top spinning forehand.

Later I came to know that Raymond of fax plays well. Now I know Wong Choon Heng plays on a regular basis. When he is not performing his Cheong Hock Yau numbers.

Roger Federer has now only two more matches to go to match Pete Sampras 14 Grand Slams titles.

He has not been doing good over the last half year or so. However I still think that he is the best all round player in the world today.

He said: "I was actually pretty happy with the way I've been playing. I think it would have been different had I been losing in the first and second rounds all the time but that wasn't the case. I always played semis or finals, basically.

"For this reason I always knew there was no need to panic. It was just important to keep on working extremely hard and do the right thing.

"I'm happy the hard work is paying off more and more. I still have more work to do to stay where I am right now and hopefully get the French Open title and move on to the grass in a great spirit."

To earn that elusive Roland Garros crown, he will have to beat fifth seed del Potro in today's semi-finals and then overcome either Sweden's Robin Soderling or Murray's conqueror Fernando Gonzalez, of Chile, in Sunday's final.

In Federer's favour none of the trio have ever beaten him on clay.

He admits his nerves are jangling as he closes in on another piece of history but he remains wary. He added: "I'm very thrilled and excited to be back in the semis here, and to be giving myself an opportunity.

"But it doesn't mean I'm going to win this because I have a great record against all the players left in the draw."

You know 31 year old Mirka Vavrinec some, I am sure. She is currently the wife of Roger Federer and is expecting their first child this year. However you may not be aware that she was a WTC tennis player, retiring in 2002 after a foot injury.

So if you see her at the stands watching Federer play matches, do not think she is like Lau Tak Wah's long time Malaysian girlfriend watching Andy Lau performing in a concert; don't know anything.

Some pictures?





















. Yah I know, she needs to lose some weight. "Hey Mirka, after the birth of your child?, promise?"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails