Friday, August 14, 2009

Chew Tuck Hing - Lunch Pudu FH

I forgot to take a picture of Chew Tuck Hing for the benefit of those who do not know this one. Or a current photo of how he looks like for those who know him.

Originally Richard Yeow and him and I were supposed to meet for lunch in Goon Wah Kuchai Lama. We had a major communication breakdown and the event did not materialize.

So Chew Tuck Hing and I had lunch in Pudu. I think the place is called Foon Kee. Actually I have been coming to this place for the last 30 years. I love their mun yue tao. I've mentioned this place I think more than once in earlier posts.

This place is run by a few sisters. And they have strict house rules, one of them being that you have to wait to be seated. See, the strange thing is that this place looks like a rundown dilapidated shop lot, not your regular fancy restaurant.

Allow me to tell you a story. A month or so ago, I was in this place. One gentlemen came in from the back and sat himself down at one of the tables whilst others were obediently waiting outside. So one of the sisters asked him what was he doing. He said "sek fan lor" which means eat lunch lor. Naturally the woman was pretty pissed. She consulted with another sister who promptly approached him and said that he would have to wait about one and a half hour for the food to come. She said there was a restaurant down the road where the food was pretty good and she suggested that he went there. He left.

This happened just next to my table. After 30 years, I am still terrified of these women.

Chew Tuck Hing epitomises Canon analog Cameras in Malaysia. Everybody in the camera trade knew him. Those days, when you talk about Canon Cameras, you talk about Chew Tuck Hing.

Some may have you believed that Chew Tuck Hing was instrumental in bringing about the Number One position for Canon Camera in Malaysia then.

Chew left Canon Marketing (M) Sdn Bhd to join Goh Kheng Peow years ago in Jebsen and Jessen to do Pentax, I think. Later he joined Goh Kheng Peow again in Compugates. Today, he is retired. Some people can be so lucky. However he told me, he would like to work again. I guess he miss the excitement.

Those days, they call him fei lo chew. However now, he has lost some weight and still look pretty healthy and strong. And still pretty talkative. He has an extremely strong command of spoken Cantonese and I used to consult him frequently on this area when we were together in Canon.

This lunch event happened after when I met him back again in Steven Wong's retirement party recently.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails