Friday, July 18, 2008

In Memory of Dr Foo Ong Pin

You may remember that last month, I did two posts on a very intelligent, kind and popular schoolmate and Brother Scout of mine, Dr Foo Ong Pin who passed away on June 30, 2008. He is sadly missed and fondly remembered by many. Recently, I received an email of which I would like to share with you.

Dear Stanley

It's my 14 yr old boy who discovered your blog - and would like to add on that our memories of Dr Foo's dedication, gentleness and loving-kindness which can never be erased from our thoughts. We've known him for 24 yrs since my older boy was 2 months old. Both my children are very sad and like many others, we would find him irreplaceable.

Despite both have way past the age of visiting a paediatrician, this great doctor is still their most adored and trusted doc for their vaccinations and my younger child only trusted him for medical consultations. Once I said to him "these children must your oldest patients" and he replied with a gentle smile "No". He is indeed an exemplary doctor who was not adored only by little children but had them kept him in their hearts for a long, long time in their life . When friends gathered and topics related to doctors are being brought up, in many, many occasions, he was mentioned as the most adored and caring paediatrician.

When I broke my leg two years ago and was doing my therapy at SJMC, the therapist was singing praises for him, a pharmacist was also describing his dedication and humbleness.

I would never forget the night when my child was brought to his clinic in Damansara Jaya way back in the mid eighties when he advised us to admit him to the hospital immediately for severe food poisoning. As his clinic only opened at 6pm on Sundays, we had send our son to another doctor twice that day as he was vomitting non stop. We were assured his condition was not serious . But when we saw Dr Foo at 6pm, he told us he was dehydrated and needed a drip immediately. It was from him we learnt the importance of the drip in severe food poisoning conditions. But what touched my husband and I most was Dr Foo came to check on the child when he closed the Damansara clinic that night which was not his duty as the child was already under the care of another hospital doctor. We did not pay him for this service. It is his genuine love and concern for his children patients that cast such a strong bond between the kids, parents and him.

On another occasion, he called me twice on the same day when he realised there were some mistakes in my child's insurance claim forms. He apologised for the mistakes and he said he would bear the responsibility should I have any difficulty in obtaining the payments from the insurance company. The second time he called to check whether the insurance company had accepted the amendments , he apologised again. I then said this to him "Dr Foo, we are all humans, we make mistakes. You don't need to apologise". His reply was "I am a Doctor. I can't make mistakes". How many of us in general not to mention doctors would own up their mistakes? This is what made him so dignified.We thank him with all our hearts for healing our children when they are unwell, taught them not to fear doctors and needles, and the guidance given to us as parents in handling the children when they are sick. Wherever he is, may he always be well and happy. We pray for the best for his family.

From the parents of Sean and Adrian Lam

As this touching letter was sent to me by email, it did not appear in the comments of the earlier posts. However, there are other appreciative expressions under comments there that you may want to read.

This following photo showing Dr Foo and friends is from Mr Yap Hoi Hoong's collection. Hoi Hoong is in the middle standing.



3 comments:

Gene said...

we only get to know him since august last yr as my 1st daughter is born. he's such a nice and kind dr and we always go sjmc for my daughter's jap. we're so shock and sad today as we return to sjmc after 1/2 yr, to check on 1yr old jap for my girl, then only found out he's no longer with us :(
he'll always b remembered by our family.

Anonymous said...

It has been 4 years since Dr Foo Onn Pin passed away. But his memories lives on. He is really really a good doctor. He is kind and passionate about his job as a child doctor. When I have some complication with my second child delivery he gave me assurance that he will be there to make sure all is well. True to his words, my baby is safe. When I was hospitalized due to some illness, he visited me and comfort me. He visited me almost everyday after his clinic closes. Till today we still talk about him. Remember all his advises, his smiles of assurance and kindness. I pray that he is in Heaven and an angel to all his child patients. God Bless Your Soul. We will always remember you.

Patrick Nelson said...

In clearing out some old drawers, I have just come across an old business card of Dr Foo from my time in Malaysia. Back in the mid-90s I was an ex-pat Brit living and working in KL, and my eldest son, Tom, was born in SJMC, He was delivered 13 weeks premature by Dr Christina Tai but it was Dr Foo who saved his life not just once, but on 3 occasions, during his 11 weeks in ICU. He was such a marvellous doctor and wonderful man and I often think about him, and his family as we had dinner together on several occasions once Tom was safe and out of trouble. It is with a heavy heart that I’ve only just learned of his passing, even though it was now 16 years ago. Tom, who is now 27 and has Cerebral Palsy and autism (as a result of his prem birth) will sometimes ask about those who helped him back in those dark days and has always wanted to return to KL to see where he was born and possibly meet those health professionals who brought him in to the world. I will let him know about Dr Foo’s passing and I’m sure we will raise a glass in his honour and memory. God Bless you, Foo Ong Pin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails