Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hudud Laws - Never?

I have a mild interest in our national politics.

MCA youth chief Wee Ka Siong said that the “in-fighting among PR components as well as recent statements by Pas on implementing hudud laws and setting up of an Islamic country would scare away the young non-Muslim community

Shouldn't we? Although I cannot for certain be considered a young non-Muslim.

We were told by Raja Petra that there is no need to be afraid as PAS will never have the numbers to form the Federal Government on its own and will never have enough parliamentarians to effect any law change, should Pakatan Rakyat form the next Government.

He said, "So, while I might support Hudud in principle, I do not support it as the law of the land. And I do not support it because I can’t support what two-thirds of Parliament does not support."

He said further, "The non-Muslim coalition partners of Barisan Nasional oppose Hudud. This, they have said so. Umno from Kelantan supports Hudud. This, they have said so. The non-Muslim partners of the opposition coalition oppose Hudud. This, they have said so. PAS, the propagator of Hudud, is split on the issue. This may have a bearing on the Kuala Terengganu by-election on 17 January 2009."

What I have here is part of his post The hypocrisy in man dated 25th December 2008.

He went on to explain that the hudud issue was currently being played out only for both sides to garner the necessary votes to win the Kuala Terengganu by-election. Read his full post here.

Of course I do not understand a damn thing. It is no wonder that I have only a mild interest in national politics.

I find it difficult to accept that we should just vote for PAS so that Pakatan Rakyat can win the Kuala Terengganu by-election and hopefully help in the eventual topple of the Barison regime. Yes, I would like Barison Nasional to be casted out.

But to vote for PAS and by extension accept hudud laws (though they cannot be implemented for mathematically reasons) so as to first get Barison Nasional out and then only deal with PAS to resist the setting up of an Islamic country is just too hippocritical for me. I need to be more convinced here.

Sorry!

Sure, I am not in a position to vote in the said by-election.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails