Saturday, March 14, 2009

Antibiotics & Alcohol: The truth and myths

I am currently on a antibiotic course.

I think it is a no-brainer that I should abstain from alcohol until I get back to top form. But should I want/have to, can I not abstain?



Antibiotics have been one of the greatest success stories of modern medicine - up there with the discovery of vaccination. There are many myths about mixing alcohol and antibiotics and most of them are just myths and nothing more! It's one of the great myths that mixing antibiotics with alcohol can seriously mess you up. While it's unwise to mix medicine with alcohol, only few drugs are affected by the action of it. The truth is that antibiotics have different routes of leaving the body, some broken down in the liver, excreted in the urine or passing straight through in the faeces. To a large extent this determines how long they stay active in the body and how often you need to take them. Alcohol may increase the excretion rate or slow down the rate drugs are broken down.


Just a little bit more information.


The fact is that drug generally must travel through the bloodstream to its site of action, where it produces some change in an organ or tissue. During this travel and targeted effects- the drug's effects then diminish as it is metabolized by enzymes and eliminated from the body. Similarly to antibiotics, alcohol is also traveling through the bloodstream, acting upon the brain to cause intoxication, and finally being metabolized and eliminated, principally by the liver.

Alcohol can influence the effectiveness of a drug by altering its availability.


I was supposed to meet up with some of the gang last evening in Bernice's. Noraini Ibrahim and Malani Cumarasamy couldn't make it. Well, that took care of my having to decide to drink or not.

Actually, there was another place. This place is called Monster Pub in Entrepreneurs' Park. An Opening, I heard. However I didn't go as well.


By the way, I heard there is a Korean actor named Daniel Henney and he is unbelievably hot. Do you know who he is?







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails