Monday, June 30, 2008

Foo Ong Pin dies

A poem from a good friend of his, Lai Wing Fatt.

Dear all

Chiang Quan has confirmed that the funeral will be on Wednesday. Those of you who wish to pay your respects can do so tonite or tomorrow nite at his house. 2 pictures taken during our Class of 67 reunion on 16.2.2008 at KDU is attached. Ong Pin then had not the slightest idea of his impending pancreatic cancer. He only had first symptoms due to stomach discomfort when he was on tour in Japan in end March and pancreatic cancer was diagnosed in early April. Out of privacy for his family, this matter was known inly to his family members and close friends.

Here's a poem I wrote for Ong Pin for sharing.

Poem for Foo Ong Pin

Lived his life so full of love
Ready and willing to serve
Husband, father, son and scout
Mission is clear heart is stout
Friends like him cause he's cheeky
Give his school his loyalty
His family's his fortress
No one can say he care less
At fifty nine he's come far
We see him as a bright star
Who reaped the joy of success
Enjoying what he does best
Let's remember the good times
Well shared and the bonds that bind
Friendship he valued in life
With fondness we bid goodbye

(Note: Every line has 7 syllables)
Lai Wing Fatt

June 30, 2008








The following is a message from Datuk Vincent Lee, of Naga

Great Poem, Dr Foo will be missed by my family especially my youngest Daughter. She was saved by Dr. Foo 19 years ago. We will be eternally grateful to his attention to our little kid then. Without his detail medical attention we wont have our daughter today. regards.

Ong Pin wrote:

When I die, I request that my body be placed in my living room, in a low to medium priced coffin, for those who have known me to bid their farewells. As a believer in all religions but being non-aligned to any particular one, I will have no need for any priests or ceremonies to conduct my last rites. Simple soothing music and perhaps a speech or two will do. I would like my body to be cremated. If I die in Malaysia, then the crematorium of choice should be the one near home, such as the one in SS1, PJ, or the one in Cheras. Should I die outside the country, it would be any convenient State-sponsored crematorium, if possible, and my body's ashes either thrown in the foreign land or brought home for throwing, whichever is convenient for my surviving family members. My body's ashes can be distributed in any spot convenient to my family members, such as a grassy spot in Taman Jaya, or Gasing Hills, or a jungle along the road to Genting Highlands, Bukit Tinggi, or Fraser's Hill, or into the sea.I do not wish for any memorial of whatever size or complexity to be erected in my memory. It is sufficient that those who have known me will remember me occasionally, hopefully with fondness. Ong Pin, of sound mind and capability,

dated 1st May 2006. (Year 2006 is not a typographical error)

11 comments:

Equator Man said...

Both, my wife and I were deeply sadden to learn of Dr Foo's passing. He cared for our children since they were born. He was such a fatherly figure to us. Our heartfelt condolences to his family members. May his sole rest in peace.

stanleycheong said...

Hi pro mahathir, I am sure Dr Foo's family appreciates your conveying of heartfelt condolences. Yes, he has helped countless families and I have personally heard so many being touched by his care. btw, do I know you? Thanks for writing in.

Jia Ying said...

Sorry, I don't think we know each other. I saw Dr. Foo's obituary in the Star paper on 1st July. Without hesitation, I attempted to search for his blog but instead, found yours. As we couldn't visit his ceremony, the only way for us to drop our condolence message is through your blog. We were deeply touched by his passing. He was such a wonderful doctor.

mrjefe said...

The only times we spent with him were during the few minutes of my children's medical check-ups - always pleasant, and now upon reflection, I realize that in his own quiet way, Dr Foo has impacted our lives with his assuring wisdom. My wife and I learned more about him at today's wake and realize that we have lost more than a very good paediatrician... we also lost the opportunity to know someone like him better.

Heartfelt condolences once again to Mrs Foo and family. May his legacy live on.

ryeli said...

out of shock that we only learnt of dr. foo's death on wednesday itself when we brought our daughter in to see him. and i wanted to know more about him as my 2 and a half year old daughter adores him (she has never liked doctors!) and my search online brought me to your site.

he is by far the best paed we have ever had and we have seen 6 so far! he will be greatly missed. thanks for the updates on him, there's not so much on him online.

T-N-E said...

I recommended him to every parent who was looking for a paed - he will surely be remembered with fondness by many.

My Sweeties said...

I only found out of his death today, when I called SJMC to make an appointment for my daughter. Was in a shocked when I heard the news. Am deeply sad to see someone so nice and gentle to passed away at such young age... He jokingly mentioned that he isn't that old...

May his soul rest in peace, and my condolences to Mrs Ong and family...

Will always remember him and his advice and laughter forever...

My Sweeties said...

Sorry... got the surname wrong... Totally cannot think now...

Was supposed to write condolences to Mrs Foo and family...

Joey said...

I only got to know the demise of Dr Foo today when I called the SJMC. Like many others who left their comments here, Dr Foo is indeed the best paed that I ever come across. He is the one who will always make us parents feel calm at even the toughest time. And he never fail to show his care to the kids when they see him. In fact, I remember many parents who told me that Dr Foo is the only doc that can inject a child without making them cry.

I am deeply saddened that he has to leave so suddenly, but he will always be remembered as the best doc & paed I ever know. I am not even sure if I can ever come across such a good paed ever again.

My deepest condolences to Mrs Foo and family. And thanks to you Stanley for setting up this blog, because I am sure they are many out there who only know about his passes when they called SJMC.

May you rest in peace, Dr Foo.

Crystle said...

Hello there. So from your post, I understand that you were a good friend of Dr Foo. I'm a fifteen year old girl, who just decided to look at her birth records and decided to google her doctor's name.

I just found he passed away last year. From all the searches I've found, he seems like a really nice man. If I could, I'd like to tell him thank you for bringing me into this world. May you rest in peace, Dr Foo. Sorry I'm 1 year late.

ahmadcairo said...

My wife and I remember Dr Foo Ong Pin very well. All our 3 children, born in 1988, 1991 and 1998, were cared for by the kind Dr. We remember him with freat fondness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails