Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Canon FotoBook Launch - Part 1


I met so many people.

Yesterday Canon Marketing (M) Sdn Bhd held a series of events at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Jalan Sultan Ismail with the main event being the launch of their FotoBook.

It was supposed to start at 9 am. I went in at about 11am just in time to cash in on the first tea break. Ain't I lucky. I went with Bee Geok, my Assistant General Manager. By the way, we can't make it earlier in view of our having to take care of the morning logistical part of the business as well as some other loose ends. I must have missed a speech earlier by Liew Sip Chon mentioning that CMMSB will hit RM700 million revenue by the end of this year. I wonder whether he said that "you know, this will not be possible if not for all your efforts in promoting Canon. I thank you all" thingy; the make-people-feel-good line.

Pang ushered us in to have a bit of meehoon and sashimi puffs. Shook hands with Er from Johor. He was looking good with a bit less hair though. Bumped into Francis Koh from SSOA Muar. Said hello to Alicia Hooi and I thought she is now a bit slimmer. Soon after, I sat besides Peter Thua from Syarikat MOE, Kuching and Francis Kim to witness a presentation by KK Leong. KK Leong said it is okay to charge customers for a number of services given even if their printers are still on warranty as the customers understand that some problems are caused by them. A case in point was a unit of iP1880 that has got some paper clips in somewhere. "It is okay to charge them. They understand that the warranty does not cover certain things. They don't mind." I look around and I saw a lot of faces looking like they really wanted to believe KK Leong.

Very soon, it was lunch time, my favorite time of the day. It was in Planter's Inn. They did not change the name of this cafe for 35 years. Talk about longevity.

Me and Bee Geok, we sat with Peter Thua (again), Rick Low, Pua, Patrick and Mdm Patrick from Best Office Systems, Kuala Terengganu. Along the same table we have Richard Yeow, Alan of Recarts. Peter of MOE said he is running the business now but his father Ming still controls the money. He said he has a smart father. I agree.

Alan said that in his spare time, he conducts survival camps for pre-teen kids and got Bee Geok interested enough to want to send in one of her kids. Alan does not charge and do it for free. So all you fathers and mothers .... Mdm Patrick was most enthusiastic and mentioned many times that today's kids are spoilt and most of the times, the parents are at fault. She does a fair bit of charity work in Kuala Terengganu. She knows Ann Lee and her family in KT. Patrick still comes down to KL to socialize and drink with the usual suspects on weekends. Minus Mario Lum, sadly.


Rick Low was his usual self with many suggestions on how every organisation can improve on how they go about doing things. Liew Sip Chon came over for a while and Rick was full of praise, saying later to me that Liew has got brains. This is one God fearing man, obviously.

Saw Alan2, the slightly plumb one and Yap Lye Meow on another table. On yet another table, I spotted Alvin Yeoh of Simplex and Michael Kok from Synergy. I wonder where was Alfred Chan.

Spoke to Law Lie Teik for some minutes. He was our branch manager in Sibu before he became a grandfather of two kids. Yeah, two kids, no kidding! I did not take a picture of him, so here's a photo of him years ago. This picture was when he won best branch.


Ho Bak Kee too. I asked him how was his house. I remember he was building a house to retire in. 'Good', he said. 'I have been living in it for 10 years already'. How time whiz us by.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails