Sunday, October 5, 2008

Tan Hui Ann



I did not know Tan Hui Ann is also known as Harry until a few days ago. We have not met for 26 years.

He found me on the internet.

Harry is almost a CanonMalaysian. You see, quite a while ago, he was a salesperson for a Canon reseller known as Perdangangan Dunia in Kota Baru. I do not know if this company is still in existence.

At that time, I ask him if he wanted to join Canon, the winning organisation. He said yes and came down to Kuala Lumpur for an interview. We used to have "mass" interviews then where a number of candidates were interviewed at the same time by a panel of interviewers. I think this was started by our then Executive Director Chong Kai Yong. Kai Yong used to be our national rugby player. He retired at I think 37 years old. He has not visibly worked since. He used to own a pub "Out of Africa" in PJ Club. I think the pub is still there.

Harry said to me the other day. "Stanley, I remembered you told me to watch out for Jack Lim during the interview. You said he was very sharp. I think I answered his last question very well." Okay, to cut the long story short, he impressed Jack and got selected to join us as a Canon Electronic Typewriter salesperson. I think he thought the rest of the interviewing panel including me were of no use. He impressed Jack Lim!

So he went back to Kota Baru very happy thinking that he would be a part of the Canon family.

Alas, his brother told him when he arrived back in Kota Baru that he was successful in his application for admission into Universiti Kebangasaan Malaysia. So he wasted a bit of our Managing Director Jack Lim's time.

This smart fellow graduated and worked for a few years including a stint in Olivetti. He said the salary offered him by Olivetti after graduation was even less than what we offered him before UKM!

Anyhow today, he is the Managing Director of a company called PAN Kinetics Sdn Bhd on UPS systems, Computer Room Construction, TVSS and ATF. (Wonder what all the alphabets mean).

He has a wife and a young daughter.

He mentioned he knew Chan Poon How when CPH was in charge of the East Coast. I can't check if he is lying on this score as Mr Chan Poon How has gone over to the other side. God rest his soul.

He said he too knew a former Canon KB person called Seow Ping (Mr). May be another tragic story here. Not sure yet. Will have to research this a little. The other Canon guy in charge of Kota Baru that he bumped into a few times was Lau Yoke Kok, who was with Brother a few years ago; you know, the company At Your Side. What a lousy tag line for a brand. LYK is now with a company VESTA or something.

Tan Hui Ann is really a very nice, friendly, and genuine fellow. I like him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pan kinetic is bankrupting. I cannot collect my money after doing work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails