Saturday, October 4, 2008

The English Language

You know, I thought of spicing up some posts by throwing in some swear words.

Might results in more hits. Hit rates are my source of motivation currently (with me having such limited other forms of feed backs).

Then I would have to caution for viewers discretion, warning you not to allow kids of 9, 10 years to come visit.

Of course, teens are not a problem. They swear frequently, regularly and consistently. What more, in Malay, English, Cantonese. Verbally and in written forms. You should try visiting blogs of teenagers. I can point you to a few.

But what strikes and pleasantly surprises me is that a lot of teenagers can and do write well. In English at least (I do not read blogs written in Chinese as I do not know the written form). I suspect their level of command of the English Language somehow surpasses those older past teens. I am of the opinion that if the government should revert the teachings of Science and Mathematics back to Malay, it would certainly be counter-productive. We could very well be now reversing the decline in competency of the English language.

There should not be a necessity to point to the importance of English in a global community of which we are fast becoming. Well, the Chinese language too, of which I am hopeless.

On a totally unrelated subject, I have here a band Bad English doing their hit single a while ago called When I See You Smile. The singer John Waite had an incredibly bad hair day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails