Monday, May 25, 2009

The Made-Over Susan Boyle

You would be Alan from Recarts Sdn Bhd coming back from a 6 week four wheel drive incursion into inner Mongolia if you have not heard of Susan Boyle, the Scottish sensation who wow'd Simon Cowell.

Well, Susan has just made it to the finals of Britain's got Talent 2009 with this song Memory.

I have to say this. I think Susan Boyle's performance is overrated; possibly because I took some sour grapes for tea a little earlier.

Sure, she was very good. But look at the attention she is getting, the blow by blow news in the mainstream, the blogs, the youtube hits etc. I really do think that the attention was a bit over the top.

My read would be that the underdog element, the good-book-with-the-bad-cover element provide the masses with a very good excuse of a reason to cheer in a champion, albeit not entirely fairly.




Barbara Streisand is one of my all time favourite singers (up there in my list with the likes of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey). I much prefer this version although it may not be an entirely fair comparison. With experience and exposure, Susan Boyle may become outstanding in her own right.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails